Monday, June 20, 2011

28 weeks and Bed Rest!!


I went to my Dr. appointment last Tuesday June 14th. At this appointment I was 27 weeks and 3 days . I have been doing Fetal Fibronectin tests every two weeks the past few months, as a precaution because I have had two preterm babies already. My doctor always assured me that I most likely would never have a positive test, but we needed to be cautious until the baby was 31 weeks or so. (the most critical weeks for an early baby). So we did the test, a vaginal ultrasound to check my cervix (thick and closed!), then a stomach ultrasound (mostly for fun) to see the baby. So I left feeling really good and thinking that everything was great. It was just 2 hours later that I received a phone call from Dr. Hartman saying my Fetal Fibronectin test (FFn) had come back positive! I couldn't believe it!

{Fetal fibronectin is a protein that acts as a "glue" during pregnancy, attaching the amniotic sac — the fluid-filled membrane that cushions your baby in the uterus — to the lining of the uterus. Fetal fibronectin is often present in cervical secretions during early pregnancy. Fetal fibronectin also shows up later in pregnancy, about one to three weeks before labor begins. If your health care provider is concerned about preterm labor, he or she may test a swab from your cervical canal for the presence of fetal fibronectin. A positive fetal fibronectin test is a clue that the "glue" has been disturbed and you're at increased risk of preterm labor.}  

Because it came back positive I had a few things I needed to do. First, go to the hospital that night to get a Steroid shot. Then return the next day to get a 2nd dose of the same thing. This helps the baby's lungs develop faster. He told me he could possibly put me in the hospital, but that it wasn't an emergency so if I didn't want to, I didn't have to. So of coarse I said, "no thanks".  He told me from then on, I had to be on bed rest where I was laying down at least 6 hours a day. Yikes! That seems almost impossible with two kiddos at home. I'm still working on figuring out a good daily schedule for all of us, so that I can still be a good parent, but also get the rest that I'm supposed to get. It's been about 5 days now, and I've probably watched a good 20+ episodes of a TV show called 'Psych'. I've also packed a hospital bag for myself in the event that I do get hospitalized. I have another appointment tomorrow so we will see what that brings. Mostly we are just hoping that this little girl isn't too anxious to get here. We will happily wait another few months to see you!!

2 comments:

  1. I've had you in my prayers...hope that Harley doesn't come too soon. We'll miss you at the reunion this weekend, but you need to take care that the little one doesn't come before her time!!
    Love ya,
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great by the way.

    ReplyDelete